What is the Honors Program all about?
The Honors Program at Sacramento City College offers students the opportunity to:
- Challenge themselves intellectually in three-unit seminars in a variety of disciplines
- Interact socially and academically with a diverse group of students, faculty and community members through the Honors Society
- Serve the community and gain eligibility for a wide range of scholarships through Phi Theta Kappa, the international two-year college honor society
Honors Program courses are:
- University transferable
- Smaller than regular classes (usually limited to eighteen students)
- Dependent upon student participation and research
Students who complete four honors classes with a "B" average receive:
- A certificate, celebrating the accomplishment
- A cash award
- A notation "Honors Scholar" on their transcript
This program also has special extracurricular activities:
- Shakespeare players from Ashland, Oregon
- Award-winning guest musicians
- Noted anthropology guest seminars
- Special film showing with discussion
- Annual awards banquet
- Conferences and seminars for students
How can I participate?
The Honors Society is the umbrella organization at SCC that covers those students who are participating because of involvement with the Honors Program, because of membership in Phi Theta Kappa, or because of an interest in Honors courses or the Honors Society activities. See the Society information page for more details.
- Our Weekly Meeting: Every Thursday at noon (12:00 PM) in Rodda North 220.
What are the benefits?
Why participate? Membership in Phi Theta Kappa provides exclusive access to scholarships, leadership and service opportunities, and great networking and fellowship opportunities.
What are the requirements?
Meet the following criteria and you may be eligible for membership in Phi Theta Kappa:
- Currently enrolled at SCC in at least .5 unit
- Have at least a 3.5 GPA
- Have completed at least 12 units of course work at SCC in classes applicable towards an AA, AS, or BA degree
Meet the following criteria and you may be eligible for the Honors Program:
- You are enrolled or will be enrolled full-time or part-time at Sacramento City College
- A 3.0 GPA or better based on high school or college transcripts
- Eligibility for or successful completion of ENGWR 300 (formerly English IA)
This year, SCC has partnered with Phi Theta Kappa to implement online membership applications. Watch for your invitation to join PTK coming in February if you meet the above stated qualifications.